Document GitLab as the only way to contribute to Samba?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 21 01:05:17 UTC 2019

G'Day all,

I gave a talk at SambaXP about our first year with GitLab, and one
point I made is that it is *not OK* to have public contribution
documentation that does not match our actual practice.

I was talking about GitHub, which we advertised but did not embrace
(and which by the end caused new contributors to be told off,
essentially).

I've recently found myself doing the same thing!  But now I'm berating
contributors who follow our public documentation and so innocently send
patches to samba-technical, or attach them to bugzilla.

So, I would like to propose this.  That given the practice of the Samba
Team and almost all contributors is to contribute via a merge request
against https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba that we document this, and
only this, as how to contribute to new patches to Samba.

This is only one tiny step in a process to have clear, practical
contribution instructions, but I would like to ensure we agree on this
much.

Essentially it would mean a better version of this being prominently
placed:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_CI_on_gitlab#Creating_a_merge_request

and updates to:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_Git_for_Samba_Development

Non patch, meta and broader architectural discussions still belong on
samba-technical of course.

Any thoughts?

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba