Some bugzilla work and thoughts

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 12 20:49:56 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-06-12 at 18:35 +0530, Amit Kumar via samba-technical
wrote:
> Dear Andrew,
>
> So do you have plan to reduce/work/close(RFE maybe Not even in
> pipeline)
> on bugzillas to lower their numbers.
> What i find is It's even tough to search and start working, Since
> quite
> are in NEW state while patches are attached to them!!

Yes, that was the idea.  I was hoping to close around 10% of the bugs,
and perhaps encourage others to close another 10%.  This was
optimistic, I only got to triage of 2.5%, closing around 2%.

I agree, it is very hard to know where to start, plus patches really
(even if not known at the time they were uploaded) need to be merge
requests to avoid being time sinks for the reviewer.

I'm no longer convinced that Bugzilla is the right tool for Samba, but
I don't know what would be.

This isn't are reflection on the administration staff, just on the
quality/properties of the tool.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org