Interesting issue with Macs accessing SMB shares ...

Andrew Walker awalker at ixsystems.com
Tue Jul 30 23:30:35 UTC 2019

> The server is in a domain. The Mac has not joined any domain and I was
> unaware you could join a Mac to an AD Domain.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Richard Sharpe
> (何以解憂?唯有杜康。--曹操)(传说杜康是酒的发明者)

My experience is that it works reasonably well. If you have Unix extensions in the AD domain, then you can choose to use those for IDs otherwise MacOS will generate them for you (can’t remember the exact mechanism). A former colleague wrote an idmap backend to generate them the way MacOS does but I haven’t had the time to look over it in depth. Hopefully I’ll be able to soon since I imagine it will be useful for M&E environments with AD and macs.