Turning off SMB1 make slashdot and theregister !

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jul 30 16:32:37 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 06:52:34PM +1000, ronnie sahlberg via samba-technical wrote:
> The solution is simple.
> This is what I propose:
>
> Next major release SMB1 is dropped and the code is deleted.
>
> Some people do care very much about ms-dos / os/2 and amiga 1.3 users.
> These people can fork
> samba and continue to support a smb1-legacy version of samba and
> backport all patches from upstream to this
> fork. Volunteers?
>
> Alternatively, ms-dos. os/2 warp and amiga 1.3 users can still
> continue to use old and obsolete versions of samba
> if they are not able to fix their clients to use smb2.

I have to admit I really think this is the only workable
solution for the size of fileserver maintanence team we
have.

I'm working on modernizing the fileserver VFS right
now, and the requirements to keep SMB1 working are
causing massive amounts of extra work.

If we can ditch SMB1, many many simplifications
become possible in the fileserver code that require
enormous effort today. Take a look at the directory
scanning cleanup fixes I'm going to try and land
this week - 99% of that is fixing up old SMB1
code that is simply unneeded if we were SMB2+
only.

The AD-DC codebase moves forward as rapidly as
possible to match current Windows needs.

The fileserver needs to be able to do the
same.

All IMHO of course :-).

Jeremy.