RFC --picky-developer (for developer builds)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 30 04:11:55 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-07-29 at 09:48 +0000, Noel Power via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I had a merge request https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/591 (now closed) to enable --picky-developer for developer builds, this was a pretty low impact change to make developer builds build with '---picky-developer' by default.
>
> note: it modified the configure.developer wrapper script rather than the --developer option itself
>
> Metze however pointed out that he had an old branch hanging around trying to achieve the same result (but I think at the time too many warning as errors still existed in the codebase)
>
> Metze's branch:
>
>   a) removes the '--picky-developer' option but instead make the --developer option use the same flags (in otherwords make --developer do the same a --picky-developer)
>
>   b) replaces the '--picky-developer' option with '--disable-warnings-as-errors'<https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/667/diffs?commit_id=3195e4a57ea74fae2b81536b327c13148b1529fa> to allow to avoid -Werror

I really like this, as it removes the social/professional implication
and instead talks about what the option does.

This is important as often new/old compilers introduce raise errors
unconnected to the developers area of work, but which impedes progress
(occasionally there is even no acceptable solution, except to allow
warnings in a subsystem).

Just as some are forced to build with --abi-check-disable for
environmental reasons (no, not that environment, the other type of
environment... ;-).

> I think Metzes' approach is better and so rebased his branch,  (see https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/pipelines/72975003)
>
> Surely it's better (for developer builds) to be as 'picky' as possible and ensure we keep passing with that)
>
> what do others think? I'm all for merging this but such a change probably needs some wider discussion/agreement

So this is:
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/667

That looks OK to me.

Thanks!