RFC --picky-developer (for developer builds)

Noel Power NoPower at suse.com
Mon Jul 29 09:48:42 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I had a merge request https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/591 (now closed) to enable --picky-developer for developer builds, this was a pretty low impact change to make developer builds build with '---picky-developer' by default.

note: it modified the configure.developer wrapper script rather than the --developer option itself

Metze however pointed out that he had an old branch hanging around trying to achieve the same result (but I think at the time too many warning as errors still existed in the codebase)

Metze's branch:

  a) removes the '--picky-developer' option but instead make the --developer option use the same flags (in otherwords make --developer do the same a --picky-developer)

  b) replaces the '--picky-developer' option with '--disable-warnings-as-errors'<https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/667/diffs?commit_id=3195e4a57ea74fae2b81536b327c13148b1529fa> to allow to avoid -Werror

I think Metzes' approach is better and so rebased his branch,  (see https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/pipelines/72975003)

Surely it's better (for developer builds) to be as 'picky' as possible and ensure we keep passing with that)

what do others think? I'm all for merging this but such a change probably needs some wider discussion/agreement

thanks,

Noel