Turning off SMB1 make slashdot and theregister !

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 25 19:27:41 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-07-25 at 20:18 +0100, Rowland penny via samba-technical
wrote:
> On 25/07/2019 19:59, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:
> > We can't do that until we provide a reasonable way for SMB1 clients
> > connect, probably via a SMB1 -> SMB2 proxy based on the NTVFS file
> > server (where we had such a prototype until very recently).
> >
> > It won't be perfect SMB1, but needs to be enough for basic
> > operation.
> >
> > I'm quite convinced Samba and SMB1 are critical infrastructure in
> > many
> > places and while we may dislike SMB1 for good reasons the
> > alternative
> > is to force such installations to rely on what will in 2 years be
> > an
> > unsupported and therefore soon an insecure version.
> >
> > I'm not comfortable with that as an outcome, so we need to provide
> > them
> > a way forward.
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >

> Andrew, why do we need to keep anything like SMBv1 around in the long
> term ?
>
> If you do an internet search, you will find blogs from Microsoft
> employees nearly begging people not to use SMBv1 and the fact that
> new
> Windows 10 installs have SMBv1 turned off by default, leads me to
> think
> that it wont be long before it is totally removed from windows.
>
> If SMBv1 is removed from windows, then the major user base will
> disappear, so are you saying Samba should keep SMBv1 around just for
> Unix users ?

I'm more thinking about the DOS users, the OS/2 users and the Windows
3.11 users.

> If you are considering the Network Browsing problem, then there are
> other ways to do this.

It isn't browsing.  Samba is the glue that holds a lot of things
together.

I'm sure we will find out a little of this in a year or so, when 4.11
starts to be seriously used in production.

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba