Turning off SMB1 make slashdot and theregister !

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 25 18:59:33 UTC 2019

We can't do that until we provide a reasonable way for SMB1 clients to
connect, probably via a SMB1 -> SMB2 proxy based on the NTVFS file
server (where we had such a prototype until very recently).

It won't be perfect SMB1, but needs to be enough for basic operation.

I'm quite convinced Samba and SMB1 are critical infrastructure in many
places and while we may dislike SMB1 for good reasons the alternative
is to force such installations to rely on what will in 2 years be an
unsupported and therefore soon an insecure version.

I'm not comfortable with that as an outcome, so we need to provide them
a way forward.

Andrew Bartlett