Turning off SMB1 make slashdot and theregister !

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Jul 19 16:02:54 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 08:37:40PM +1000, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> Good stuff.
>
> Next step will be to delete the entire smb1 codebase for the next major version.

That's going to take a little while, there are still many major
vendors (small routers mostly) who depend on this. Still it'll
be easier to remove the server code than the client.

My idea is when the last line of SMB1 and previous protocol
code is removed from the server we rename the tree Samba5 :-).

Makes for a good marketing pitch anyway :-).

But first we have to finish the VFS modernization / rewrite
to move to the XXXXat() syscalls (now standardized in the
OpenGroup thank goodness :-) and merge in the SMB3+posix
extensions code.

This is a boatload of work. Engineers welcome to help :-).

Jeremy.