[Announce] Samba 4.11.0rc1 Available for Download

Harry Duncan usr.src.linux at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 21:38:18 UTC 2019

On Tue Jul  9 10:20:44 UTC 2019, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> Release Announcements
> =====================
>
> This is the first release candidate of Samba 4.11.  This is *not*
> intended for production environments and is designed for testing
> purposes only.  Please report any defects via the Samba bug reporting
> system at https://bugzilla.samba.org/.
>
> Samba 4.11 will be the next version of the Samba suite.

<snip>

> Default schema updated to 2012_R2
> ---------------------------------
>
> Default AD schema changed from 2008_R2 to 2012_R2.  2012_R2 functional level
> is not yet available.  Older schemas can be used by provisioning with the
> '--base-schema' argument.  Existing installations can be updated with the
> samba-tool command "domain schemaupgrade".
>
> Samba's replication code has also been improved to handle replication
> with the 2012 schema (the core of this replication fix has also been
> backported to 4.9.11 and will be in a 4.10.x release).

I would like to dedicate some resources to testing this, would I be
right in saying that because only the schema is supported and not the
functional level, that I should be able to put a windows 2012 R2
server as a domain controller with the schema master FSMO role, that I
can add Samba 4.11.0rc1 to that domain and have it function with its
reduced subset for rudimentary functions that are already supported?

If so, are there any FSMO roles that Samba can hold, like domain
naming, or must all the roles be mastered by a windows host?

Any particular features you would like us to test in tandem with the
funciionality that we will be testing for our future use when this is
production released?

Thanks,

Harry.