avahi/fruit: _device-info._tcp not propagated

Günther Deschner gd at samba.org
Tue Jan 15 23:16:35 UTC 2019

Hi Rouven,

On 15/01/2019 20:52, Rouven WEILER wrote:
> Thanks for the patch.
> I had some further thought on this…
>
> The "fruit:model = MacSamba“ does not seem to change any icon in the finder since there is no MacSamba icon on MacOS.
> This means the default will be shown which is the same as no _device-info.

Sure, that is the idea. Currently we displayed any other icon selected
after a successful SMB connect once aapl was enabled but we displayed
only the "default" icon when avahi was used to register our service on
the network. This was inconsistent and thus we use the same settings now
in both places. "MacSamba" was chose to guarantee to display the default
icon and not show up with any surprises. As you mentioned, any other
icon can be chosen with the parametric option, even "fruit:model=iPod"
works (and really looks funny). For the registration I think it's just
fine to always announce our presence with the default icon. Thus I'd say
we can leave the patch as is (it's already in master now). If you have
no further objections, we should push to the released samba versions as
well.

Thanks,
Guenther
--
Günther Deschner                    GPG-ID: 8EE11688
Red Hat                         gdeschner at redhat.com
Samba Team                              gd at samba.org