[Patch] Stop smbprofile.tdb from growing when level is set to 0

Dylan Stephano-Shachter dshachter at nasuni.com
Mon Jan 14 18:43:48 UTC 2019

On 1/12/19 3:13 AM, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 08:44:11AM +0100, Volker Lendecke via samba-technical wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 06:24:51PM +0000, Dylan Stephano-Shachter via samba-technical wrote:
>>> I believe we still need the change in smbprofile_cleanup. The
>>> problem is whenever a new connection is created it creates a new
>>> process. Thus a new unique key for tdb_store and so it will continue
>>> to grow.
>> smbprofile_dump is the routine to create the per-smbd records. With
>> the early return those records are not created.
>>
>> smbprofile_cleanup looks at possibly existing records and deletes
>> them if they exist. This might happen if a worker-smbd has changed the
>> profile level throughout its existence, making it different from
>> cleanupd. The subtle aspect of smbprofile_cleanup() is the little
>> "pid=dst;" line. The tdb_store is done on the "dst" process' record.
>> If you look at the caller of smbprofile_cleanup, this is always the
>> parent smbd, and that never changes while smbd is running. And I would
>> argue that we want this one and only record to exist, this is nothing
>> that should cause space problems with the tdb file.
> Any updates here? I'd really like to get to a common understanding. If
> I'm wrong, please tell me :-)
>
> Volker

This all makes sense to me. Let's try out this patch.

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, forwarding or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message, all attachments and all copies and backups thereof.