python: libsmb_samba_internal vs. libsmb

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Tue Jan 8 12:04:48 UTC 2019

Hi Tim,

> I wanted to rename the python module because the naming didn't seem
> consistent with any of the other python bindings Samba has. I think
> 'libsmb_samba_internal' made sense when it was unused by any of the
> samba python code (except some test code). But now (well, soon) these
> Python bindings will be used by the samba-tool code. It looks a bit
> strange in samba-tool to have:
>
> conn = libsmb_samba_internal.Conn(server)
>
> E.g. my latest patches start to use the new bindings in more places:
> https://gitlab.com/catalyst-samba/samba/commits/timb-pysmb-latest
>
> But maybe I've misunderstood something. Why do you want to keep the
> libsmb_samba_internal name?

The idea was that we make it clear that we don't expose a stable api
for external consumers. And we're free to change it without
consequences, as you did with the directory listing.

samba-tool and other tools are not external consumers and would be
changed at the same time as we change the api.

Volker, you invented the name, do you have any comments on this?

metze