Better interop for NFS/SMB file share mode/reservation

Jeffrey Layton jlayton at samba.org
Fri Feb 8 16:28:43 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-02-08 at 11:03 -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-02-08 at 16:45 +0200, Amir Goldstein wrote:

> > > The Linux kernel has no mechanism for this (aside from sending a SIGKILL
> > > to lockd, which makes it drop all locks). Solaris did have a tool for
> > > this at one point (and probably still does).
> > >
> > > It's a little less of a problem now than it used to be with NFS, given
> > > the move to NFSv4 (which has lease-based locking). If you have
> > > misbehaving clients, you just kick them out and their locks eventually
> > > go away. v3 locks can stick around in perpetuity however, so people have
> > > long wanted such a tool on Linux as well.
> > >

> > In a nut shell, I think my proposal is that samba will do something
> > similar and request leases from the kernel instead of trying to
> > enforce real mandatory locks.

> > > I think this last statement isn't correct (if I'm parsing it correctly).
> > > If a file is already open for write, then you just don't get a lease
> > > when you try to request one. Ditto for write leases if it's already open
> > > for read.
> > >

> > I think you miss read what I miss wrote ;-)
> > As the title of this thread states, I am talking about the first case
> > of acquiring an exclusive or read shared access to file at open time.
> > It may be the fact that samba currently calls flock(LOCK_MAND)
> > that is the source for confusion.
> >
> > Open failure is the expected behavior if file is already open for
> > write (or read) on local filesystem, so my suggestion is:
> > - Server opens the file and request a lease based of desired share mode
> > - If file server got the lease, client gets the file handle
> > - Otherwise, client gets an open failure
> > > >

> > > Devil's advocate:
> > >
> > > Is this situation any better than just teaching the NFS/SMB servers to
> > > track these locks out of band? Both samba and most NFS servers respect
> > > share/deny mode locks, but only internally -- they aren't aware of the
> > > others'. We could (in principle) come up with a mechanism to track these
> > > that doesn't involve plumbing them into the kernel.
> > >

> > That would be a prerequisite to my suggested solution, as I wrote:
> > "As long as samba and nfsd cooperate nicely with LOCK_MAND..."
> > That means the two file servers cooperate on the share mode locks
> > and try to figure out if there are outstanding leases before opening
> > a file that will break those leases.
> >
> > > That said, coherent locking is best done in the kernel, IMO...
> > >

> > Indeed...

> > > I think it's not a single idea. There are really two different aspects
> > > to this given that we're really talking about two different types of
> > > locks in SMB. I think you have to consider solving these problems
> > > separately:
> > >
> > > 1) the ability to set a (typically whole-file) share/deny lock
> > > atomically when you open a file. This is necessary for coherent
> > > share/deny lock semantics. Note that these are only enforced open()
> > > time.
> > >
> > > 2) mandatory locking (forbidding reads and writes on a byte range when
> > > there is a conflicting lock set).

> [...]

Yeah, in fact, I rolled this program and ran it in two different shells
on the same machine against the same file, and they both acquired a
lock:

---------------------------[snip]------------------------------
#define _GNU_SOURCE
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/file.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
	int fd, ret;

	fd = open(argv[1], O_RDWR|O_CREAT, 0644);
	if (fd < 0)
		perror("open");

	ret = flock(fd, LOCK_EX|LOCK_MAND);
	if (ret)
		perror("flock");
	printf("Lock acquired");
	getchar();
	return 0;
}

I move that LOCK_MAND be nuked from orbit...or someone step forward to
propose reasonable semantics for it. :)

--
Jeffrey Layton <jlayton at samba.org>