Samba and Python2

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 5 09:33:46 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-02-05 at 08:06 +0100, Andreas Schneider via samba-
technical wrote:
> Hello,
>
> currently we have Samba with Python2 and Python3 support and that's what will
> be shipping with Samba 4.10.
>
> We want to remove Python2 support and we can do so with Samba 4.11 however we
> need to announce this with Samba 4.10.
>
> I think we should add something like the following to WHATSNEW.txt:
>

> Python version 2 and 3
> ======================
>
> This is the first release of Samba which has full support for Python 3. This
> release also comes with Python 2 support. However this will be the last
> release which ships with Python 2 support. The Samba Team doesn't have the
> manpower to support both so with Samba 4.11 Python 2 support will be dropped.
> This means if you use Python 2 bindings it is time to migrate to Python 3 now.
>

> Improvements for the wording are welcome.

I strongly agree.  We do say:

python3 support
---------------

Note: Support for python2 (with the exception of a build configured
with       'PYTHON=python2 ./configure --disable-python' and built
with       'PYTHON=python2 make' will be deprecated in the next
release.

But that uses the word deprecated, when I hope we can agree that
dropped is what we meant.  Having watched the efforts needed to keep
both pythons going for just the past few weeks, I strongly endorse your
proposal and look forward to a simpler future, at least in the python
code.

I'm not sure if we can get consensus, but I also think Python2 support
for the waf build should also be described as deprecated in 4.10, and
so allow us to remove it in the future.  Therefore replace the 'Note:'
with

Python version 2 and 3
======================

This is the first release of Samba which has full support for Python 3.
This release also comes with Python 2 support. However this will be the
last release which ships with Python 2 support. The Samba Team doesn't
have the manpower to support both so with Samba 4.11 Python 2 support
will be dropped.
This means if you use Python 2 bindings it is time to migrate to Python
3 now.

The support for python2 for the build configured
with       'PYTHON=python2 ./configure --disable-python' and built
with       'PYTHON=python2 make' should also be considered deprecated
and will be removed in a future release.

Thanks,