Automating usage of smbspool_krb5_wrapper

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Fri Dec 6 06:56:32 UTC 2019

On Friday, 6 December 2019 07:36:50 CET Mikhail Novosyolov wrote:
> 06.12.2019 09:30, Andreas Schneider пишет:

> >> Hello Andreas,
> >> I have recently read how it is recommended to send patches to Linux
> >> kernel
> >> and it is recommended to send them as plain text, not as attachments, so
> >> I'm resending them as plain text emails in the following emails.
> >
> > For samba we prefer one attachment as a patchset or a merge request.
>
> Ok, thanks.
>
> > I opened one here:
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/961
>
> Why are you sure that the root user cannot print using Kerberos
> authorization? There should be no problem to get a kerberos ticket from
> root and sometimes it can be needed, for example if system-config-printer
> GTK+ GUI is run from root via consolekit or if a crappy proprietary
> applications works from root and requires printing.

If we are root and have a valid kerberos ticket and we want to print a doc,
there is no need to do any uid changing and trying to find the credential
cache. We should just call smbspool directly.

Rembember: smbspool_krb5_wrapper is there to switch to the uid of the user
printing the document, so that we get access to the krb5 credential cache. If
we're already root:

a) we already are the right user
b) we have access to the krb5 credential cache

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D