Better interop for NFS/SMB file share mode/reservation

Amir Goldstein amir73il at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 11:42:43 UTC 2019

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 8:57 PM Trond Myklebust <trondmy at hammerspace.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2019-04-28 at 18:33 -0400, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 6:08 PM Trond Myklebust <
> > trondmy at hammerspace.com> wrote:

> > > Same difference. As long as nfsd and/or Ganesha are translating
> > > OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_READ and OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_WRITE into share
> > > access
> > > locks, then those will conflict with any deny locks set by whatever
> > > application that uses them.
> > >
> > > IOW: any open(O_RDONLY) and open(O_RDWR) will conflict with an
> > > O_DENY_READ that is set on the server, and any open(O_WRONLY) and
> > > open(O_RDWR) will conflict with an O_DENY_WRITE that is set on the
> > > server. There is no opt-out for NFS clients on this issue, because
> > > stateful NFSv4 opens MUST set one or more of
> > > OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_READ
> > > and OPEN4_SHARE_ACCESS_WRITE.
> > >

> > Urgh! I *think* I understand the confusion.
> >
> > I believe Jeff was talking about implementing a mount option
> > similar to -o mand for local fs on the server.
> > With that mount option, *any* open() by any app of file from
> > that mount will use O_DENY_NONE to interop correctly with
> > network servers that explicitly opt-in for interop on share modes.
> > I agree its a nice feature that is easy to implement - not important
> > for first version IMO.
> >
> > I *think* you are talking on nfs client mount option for
> > opt-in/out of share modes? there was no such intention.
> >

> No. I'm saying that whether you intended to or not, you _are_
> implementing a mandatory lock over NFS. No talk about O_SHARE flags and
> it being an opt-in process for local applications changes the fact that
> non-local applications (i.e. the ones that count ) are being subjected
> to a mandatory lock with all the potential for denial of service that
> implies.
> So we need a mechanism beyond O_SHARE in order to ensure this system
> cannot be used on sensitive files that need to be accessible to all. It
> could be an export option, or a mount option, or it could be a more
> specific mechanism (e.g. the setgid with no execute mode bit as using
> in POSIX mandatory locks).

I see. Thanks for making that concern clear.

If server owner wishes to have samba/nfs interop obviously
server owner should configure both samba and nfs for interop.
nfs should thus have it configurable via export options IMO
and not via mount option (server's responsibility).

Preventing O_DENY_X on a certain file... hmm
We can do that but, if nfs protocol has O_DENY what's the
logic that we would want to override it?
What we need is a way to track, blame the resource holder and
release the resource administratively.

For that matter, assuming the nfsd and smbd (etc) can contain
their own fds without leaking them to other modules (minus bugs)
then provided with sufficient sysfs/procfs info (i.e. Bruce's new open
files tracking), admin should be able to kill the offending nfs/smb client
to release the hogged file.

I believe that is the Windows server solution to the DoS that is implied
from O_DENY.

Thanks,
Amir.