About Samba 4.x AD-DC Ldap Backend

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 18 08:59:00 UTC 2019

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 11:44:49 +0300
Izzet Aydın via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Dear Samba developers,
>
> We are trying to install Samba Ad-dc with ldap backend, however all
> our tries has failed.
>
> If we use samba-tool we dont see the option ldap-backend.
> If we set manually in smb.conf like "server role = active directory
> domain controller" and set backend ldapsam we couldn't start
> samba-ad-dc service.

You must provision a Samba AD domain, this means that the smb.conf will
be created for you, just creating a smb.conf in the way you have, will
not get you a Samba AD DC.

> Is there a way to use ldap-backend in latest samba-tool and samba
> packages ?

Sorry, but no, whilst there is ongoing work to try and use Openldap
instead of the built in LDAP server, this has, as yet, not come to
fruition, perhaps in the future, who knows ?

Rowland