[PROPOSAL] Re-bundle (stop producing tarballs for) ldb?

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Thu Apr 11 10:52:35 UTC 2019

On to, 11 huhti 2019, Rowland Penny via samba-technical wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 20:01:29 -0700
> Jeremy Allison via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Red Hat is the most popular Linux distro with a large
> > user base and we need to take their engineering
> > needs into account.
>
> I don't think taking a particular distro into account is a good idea. I
> think we should do what is best for Samba and the wider community.
>
> One big problem with talking about red hat and their engineering needs
> is, if you do that, you will have to remove most, if not all, of the AD
> DC code, they do not need it, they have publicly said so.
This is not what was said. Samba AD is shipped and supported in Fedora.

Whether it is supported or not in other Red Hat's maintained
distributions is irrelevant to this discussion.

As it was said in this thread before, Samba AD is not the only consumer
of public libldb API. The library simply cannot be taken away from
existing public use and made only available as a part of Samba.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy