[PROPOSAL] Re-bundle (stop producing tarballs for) ldb?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 08:12:26 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 6:04 PM Rowland Penny via samba-technical
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 20:01:29 -0700
> Jeremy Allison via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Red Hat is the most popular Linux distro with a large
> > user base and we need to take their engineering
> > needs into account.
>
> I don't think taking a particular distro into account is a good idea. I
> think we should do what is best for Samba and the wider community.
>
> One big problem with talking about red hat and their engineering needs
> is, if you do that, you will have to remove most, if not all, of the AD
> DC code, they do not need it, they have publicly said so.
>
> The problem with creating public API's (as I see it), you cannot just
> stop them from being public.

This is absolutely true. It is a public API now and that means you can
not just change the API willy-nilly just because it is convenient for
you.
You can do that for private APIs but once the API is public, tough
luck, you want to change it you have to make those changes that are
still compatible with
all the consumers you know exist as well as all consumers YOU DO NOT KNOW ABOUT.

You can't just break the API just because it would be convenient. If
that then this should never been public in the first place.