gitlab private runner with Ubuntu 18.04

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 5 18:38:38 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-04-05 at 13:08 +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:

> > Am 04.04.2019 um 20:28 schrieb Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
> > :
> >
> > On Wed, 2019-04-03 at 12:05 +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Joe, Andrew,
> > >
> > > metze has asked me to forward the following request:
> > >
> > > would it be possible to setup a private gitlab runner at
> > > Rackspace with Ubuntu 18.04?
> > >
> > > It should receive the following tags: docker, private, samba-ci-
> > > private, ubuntu1804-4.15.
> > So the concern is to upgrade the host OS that the docker containers
> > run
> > in, so as to get a new (specific?) Kernel?
> heavens, too many layers... :)

Yeah, but similar to what we have on sn-devel with a host OS and LXC
containers.

How does the saying go?  There is no problem in computer science you
cannot solve with another layer of abstraction?  (And no performance
problem you cannot solve by removing a layer of abstraction... ;-)

> > I just want to ensure I understand correctly
> not sure I understand you question correctly as well. :)))
>
> In the end I guess Joe already did what was requested. :)

Yeah.  For the record the old runners were based on a Ubuntu 16.04 host
OS.

I think this means we are almost ready to finally deploy the 18.04
docker images and switching our reference OS!

Thanks,