building samba 4.9.x with python > 2.6

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 3 20:50:20 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-04-04 at 06:24 +1100, Alex Braunegg via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Whilst I have submitted a bug for Samba 4.9.x not working (compiles without
> issue) with Python 2.6 (13882) on CentOS 6.x, I am looking for suggestions
> on how to re-configure my current rpm spec file or use a ./configure flag to
> force samba to use python35 rather than the default version of python.

No, only Samba 4.10 supports any python 3.x releases.

> Reading the docs / configure scripts etc, nothing is obvious to me where I
> can say 'go use python version here' to build / compile against.

The python executable used to invoke WAF controls the version used.
Setting PYTHON=/my/other/python before configure and make should allow
this to be controlled, but until Samba 4.10 this wasn't well tested.

Your best bet would be to upgrade to Samba 4.10 and then use the
default python3 support.

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba