Samba package 4.9.x samba smbd not playing with winbind.

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Sep 25 14:10:05 UTC 2018

@Rowland
Now reboot your server.
And smbd isnt started anymore at boot.
Dont get fooled that it started before..

@Alexander
Now small comment on :
> With 4.9.0 we expanded guest handling to differentiate between anonymous and guest sessions.
> This required a proper handling of BUILTIN\Guests and thus is now forces to be able
> to have either writable backend or aliases configured properly.

Yes, that is known.

And sorry, but in my opinion this is not handled properly.

A "stand alone" setup does not require BUILTIN\Guests maybe COMPUTERNAME\Guests
S-1-5-32-546 != SID: S-1-5-21domain-514
Guests			Domain Guests

> Question is mostly what defaults we should have for BUILTIN\Guests.
> Perhaps, we should always do the groupmap rule I added...

Well, i just follow you Samba Devs.
Im just an it guy and i can't programm what your guys do..  Respect for that!

For now, i keep it simple an in sight for me in my smb.conf and i set the 2 : idmap *  lines.
I can add that simple in the smb.conf of my debian install, but its not nice. :-/

Greetz,

Louis