WAF 2.x upgrade for 4.10

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Thu Sep 6 09:40:56 UTC 2018

So, first I forgot already to express my congrats for the excellent
achievement of getting the WAF 2.x upgrade in, well done!!

Also seems the patch set that Metz rebased no longer works (for pure
python3),  configure fails for me, I guess some more non-py3 compliant
code has snuck in since I tried last time, also the branch associated
with Metze's posted pipeline contains even more patches than I
remembered, these extra ones I guess are from the now rather stale

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/commits/npower-uber-waf2-plus-py3-porting

which has lots of not signed off and WIP patches. I will try and strip
this down into something minimal that will allow to do a basic
configure/build under python3 and submit that.

I really need to update that WIP pure branch too (I have even more WIP
patches locally :-() Hehe my patch juggling skills are pretty crap, I am
constantly switching between too many branches :-) but... I really need
to push my current WIP pure python3 stuff rebased against the latest
master (which has lots more ported tests) I think we are getting very
close though to the end of the ported test patches, that's the good
news, the bad news is that much more problems will be uncovered when
trying to get the tests to run under pure python3 :-) The challenge
continues

Anyway I'll have a look, hopefully by the end of today or maybe tomorrow
I should have a patch set that allows configure/build at least under python3

Noel