a new kernel-space server

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Oct 1 18:11:38 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 07:42:28PM +0200, Aurélien Aptel via samba-technical wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just found this new smb server implementation while randomly
> browsing github.
>
> https://github.com/namjaejeon/cifsd
> https://github.com/namjaejeon/cifsd-tools
>
> Seems to have started ~2 years ago by (probably) Samsung given some of
> the copyrights statements.
>
> From the readme:
> > - Implemented
> >   a. SMB1(CIFS), SMB2/3 protocols for basic file sharing
> >   b. Dynamic crediting
> >   c. Compound requests
> >   d. Durable handle
> >   e. oplock/lease
> >   f. Large MTU
> >   g. NTLM/NTLMv2
> >   h. Auto negotiation
> >   i. HMAC-SHA256 Signing
> >   j. Secure negotiate
> >   k. Signing Update
> >   l. Preautentication integrity(SMB 3.1.1)
> >   m. SMB3 encryption
>
> I had personally never heard about it.

Oh, I'm almost completely forgotten about that !

I had several meetings with them where I told them
what a spectacularly bad idea it was, but their
management told them to go ahead anyway.

Especially as they wanted to do SMB1 also :-).

I'm surprised they're still persevering with it,
but more choice is never a bad thing :-).