using gitlab for merge requests

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 27 10:20:55 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-11-27 at 22:16 +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-11-27 at 08:52 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> >

> > git am -3 does it for me. I am not in the gitlab business yet to the
> > level that is required these days to get your attention. So ditch the
> > patch.
>
> It is worth learning, and I think more use of GitLab is worth spending
> some time on, for all of us.  Too many patches have been lost, sent
> wrongly (EWRONGPATCH), corrupted or totally forgotten to be attached on
> samba-technical, it is much harder to do those in GitLab.
>
> In any case, this case looks like a simple race,
> 7f902798a7f43ea84fb7757ea6b917a4717f99e0 got merged a few minutes after
> you sent the patch!
>
> I've created the merge request for you here:
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/115
>
> It also has the helpful detail:
>
> "The source branch is 49 commits behind the target branch"

I've now re-pushed the rebased patch (one of the nice features of merge
requests, you can just re-push back there with updated patches).

Also, if a branch can't be merged (I think the standard is the same as
the 'git am -3' you used) it will mail you to say so and mark it on the
merge request.

> > Sorry for the noise,
>
> Don't be sorry, but please put some time into learning and exploring
> our new tools, so you can be at the head of the curve here just as you
> have been so much in other critical areas of Samba.

Finally, yes, I use it as my TODO list for outstanding Samba reviews
and make patches there the priority for my review attention.

Please give it a go,