Python3 progress

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 26 04:54:08 UTC 2018

G'Day Noel,

I notice some branches with improvements for the python3 effort passing
CI.  Well done!

One thing I think we do need is to have the PYTHON set during provision
stick.  That is, if you run:

PYTHON=python3 ./configure

That should be enough, we shouldn't have to set it for a subsequent
make or make test.

The 'make test' code should pull it from waf in the same way perl is,
and to get waf itself run under the correct python, perhaps we could
revert to the autoconf style Makefile.in and have configure substitute
Makefile.in -> Makefile.

That would allow us to move to python3 by default simply by changing
the ./configure wrapper.

Finally, we should use the hook in the build system currently employed
to change os.path during the install to also change:

#!/usr/bin/env python
to eg
#!/usr/bin/env python3
(or the full path if a full path was set)

What do you think?

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba