Wrong debug level for testparm in manual page?

Björn Baumbach bb at sernet.de
Tue Nov 13 16:52:10 UTC 2018

Hi!

On 11/13/18 10:38 AM, Anoop C S via samba-technical wrote:
> Manual page for testparm[1] mentions default debug level as 1. But we explicitly set to 2 inside
> source3/utils/testparm.c. Which side needs correction?
>
> From manual page perspective we use a common stdarg.client.debug entity for mentioning the debug
> level in few manual page definitions. Whereas in code I see a solid comment stating that debug level
> being set to 2.

I know this exists since decades, but in my opinion testparm should not
overwrite the log level, which is specified in the smb.conf.

Users use the testparm tool to verify or dump the configuration. It can
confuse users if testparm prints different values than specified in the
configuration.

If it's used and needed to reduce the debug output, we should reduce the
level, because even with level 2 there is some debug output like e.g.
'Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE'.

Best regards,
Björn

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de