Adds possibility to change another user password

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 31 12:20:47 UTC 2018

On Thu, 31 May 2018 12:08:09 +0000
Github bot account via samba-technical
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> New comment by bjacke on Samba Github repository
>
> https://github.com/samba-team/samba/pull/42#issuecomment-393509394
> Comment:
> you're right, that samba-tool is not yet very useful for Samba
> servers in "classic" mode and your request to have that feature in
> smbpasswd is quite valid. But the feature is already implementen as
> far as I can see: as root you can run "smbpasswd foo" to set
> someone's password and as a user you can set someone else's password
> with "smbpasswd -U foo", can't you?
>
> https://bugzilla.samba.org/ is the right way to report bugs and
> feature requests for Samba, please use that in the future.
>
> Thanks
> Björn

I don't think samba-tool will ever be useful in a classic domain and, if
I were you, I would be putting my efforts into upgrading from a classic
domain, before Microsoft makes it impossible to connect to one from
Windows (and if recent reports are correct, they may already have done
so with the latest win10).

Rowland