Proposal - change some default parameter settings for 4.9.0.

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at com.bat.ru
Wed May 16 00:56:33 UTC 2018

On 15 May 2018 at 23:25, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-05-15 at 23:00 +0200, Timur I. Bakeyev wrote:
> >
> > In general, I'd love to see NFSv4 ACLs as a first class citizen in
> Samba, as defaulting unconditionally vfs_posixacl
> > complicates ZFS deployments as well.
>
> For the AD DC case, I've been waiting for someone to write and test a
> patch for this for a number of years.  I don't have the need, but
> clearly it is how it 'should' work.

We have some hacks around to make thing work as desired, but for the proper
patch it would be nice to have
the idea how it should fit into the rest of the code.

ATM vfs_posixacl is hard-coded for all ACL operations and vfs_acl_xattr is
hard-coded for sysvol and netlogon shares.

We had the idea to check the FS type and based on that load appropriate vfs
objects, but as such an approach isn't
used yet, there must be reasons for that. Another option, at least for
provisioning was to test if NFSv4 ACLs are applicable
to the SYSVOL, as it's done now for POSIX ACLs, but that requires tighted
NFSv4 integration into the Samba code.

Right now we use the following patch for ZFS provisioning:

https://github.com/b-a-t/samba/commit/d4cf0ebf2a28205af234c31f1e86e39b236124f8

With regards,
Timur Bakeyev.