Proposal - change some default parameter settings for 4.9.0.

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at com.bat.ru
Tue May 15 21:00:29 UTC 2018

On 14 May 2018 at 21:20, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical <
samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 07:06:09AM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > I strongly agree that our out of the box solution should be as simple
> > as (or better still, simpler than) running windows.  This has been the
> > policy (if not always the implementation) for the AD DC for a long time
> > and I think the same should apply to the fileserver too.
> >
> > What about ACLs?  Should we store the full NT ACL by default like the
> > AD DC does?  Can we somehow make acl_xattr the default vfs module
> > without breaking everything?

Can we be a bit cautious with the defaults here? With FreeBSD we already
have a hard time disabling acl_xattr
during the provisioning to the ZFS-only systems, as NTACLs are expressed
via NFSv4 ACLs instead.

Even worse situation is with the provisioning to the UFS, due theSamba 4.6
"fix" to extattr code, which now rejects
security.* xattrs entirely, breaking provisioning.

In general, I'd love to see NFSv4 ACLs as a first class citizen in Samba,
as defaulting unconditionally vfs_posixacl
complicates ZFS deployments as well.

With regards,
Timur Bakeyev.