Proposal - change some default parameter settings for 4.9.0.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon May 14 19:06:09 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-05-14 at 09:36 -0700, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose changing the following
> defaults for Samba 4.9.0 and above.
>
> New proposed defaults:
> ----------------------
>
> map readonly = no
> store dos attributes = yes
> ea support = yes
>
> (the current defaults are the inverse of
> these).
>
> I'm asking as our most common deployed
> systems (Linux with ext4/XFS/brtfs)
> and FreeBSD (with ZFS or ffs) both
> support extended attibutes out of
> the box on standard installs.
>
> This should make installing a default
> Samba fileserver work much closer to
> an out-of-the-box Windows fileserver
> experience (these are the setting I
> always have to change as soon as I
> set up any server).
>
> Thoughts and comments ?
>
> If we can get agreement I'll create
> and propose patches for master.

I strongly agree that our out of the box solution should be as simple
as (or better still, simpler than) running windows.  This has been the
policy (if not always the implementation) for the AD DC for a long time
and I think the same should apply to the fileserver too.

What about ACLs?  Should we store the full NT ACL by default like the
AD DC does?  Can we somehow make acl_xattr the default vfs module
without breaking everything?

(I'm not gloating, the advantage of being the new feature is much less
history and less existing installations to impact).

Thanks,