[Samba] vfs_full_audit and facility 'auth'...

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at com.bat.ru
Fri May 11 15:56:44 UTC 2018

On 11 May 2018 at 17:00, Rowland Penny via samba-technical <
samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 May 2018 16:46:55 +0200
> "Timur I. Bakeyev" <timur at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >         static const struct enum_list enum_log_facilities[] = {
> >                 { LOG_USER, "USER" },
> >                 { LOG_LOCAL0, "LOCAL0" },
> >                 { LOG_LOCAL1, "LOCAL1" },
> >                 { LOG_LOCAL2, "LOCAL2" },
> >                 { LOG_LOCAL3, "LOCAL3" },
> >                 { LOG_LOCAL4, "LOCAL4" },
> >                 { LOG_LOCAL5, "LOCAL5" },
> >                 { LOG_LOCAL6, "LOCAL6" },
> >                 { LOG_LOCAL7, "LOCAL7" },
>

> > Clearly, the only possible facilities are LOCAL* and USER. That
> > raises the question why it's not mentioned in the man page and why is
> > this limitation in place?
>
> Good questions and I don't know the answers to them, the other question
> is, why does the man page say you can use any syslog facility when
> obviously you cannot ?

Everyone lies! (c) Seems it's a day of quotes for me :)

something has to be fixed here - either man page or the code. I don't see
much of the reason to limit facilities to those low-end, general purpose
ones. AUTH, actually, makes sense for audit logs.

Question to developers.

With regards,
Timur Bakeyev.