Removing --disable-python again for the standalone libs (broken)?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 10 00:10:04 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-05-10 at 07:15 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> The only reason --disable-python needs to remain is for the fileserver,
> which never uses python anyway.  I support keeping that mode because it
> will make it easier to move to python3 (ironically) because we can be a
> little more aggressive on dependencies for the AD DC than for pure
> fileservers, which still need to work on AIX et al.
>
> For your example, it is actually what I want to avoid!

Indeed, as I went to prove the below, I find it doesn't build.  I know
it is dear to Gentoo but would rather put the effort into removing it
again than fixing it.

> In that case if we had a system ldb without python, we then go and
> build pyldb from the (samba) build tree, but call #include
> "ldb_private.h"!  While it is the classic way to introduce new things,
> it creates combinations activated either accidentally or 'because I
> want to', it turns out to be both untested and actively harmful.
>
> For this particular one I'll be submitting a patch today to make that
> building a python-enabled Samba against a not-python ldb will just
> fail. (This mistake actually goes back to why python was itself the new
> untrustworthy and experimental thing).

The above is actually untrue (and has been fixed) but the fact it
wasn't obvious shows that we need less build time options, not more.

Attached is a patch to demonstrate building a --disable-python stack.

I'm happy to accept a --disable-python for the all-in samba build
(fileservers tend to go into odd places without good python), but for
the rest it is just broken and should actually be removed.

Ian:  Can you remind me why we need this, and look into fixing it if
this is important to you?

https://bugs.gentoo.org/603602

Jeremy:  This looks like a ChromeOS thing?

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/chromium-os-revi
ews/p1lEcMai8Qg

Thanks,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/