LDB python3 strings

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 9 08:06:50 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-05-09 at 08:20 +0100, Noel Power wrote:

> Unfortunately this doesn't help with the instance where just plain
> res[0]["samAccountName"][0] is being passed around (which seem to be the
> ones that I have had to change lots of). Perhaps
> str(res[0]["samAccountName"][0]) is used more than I realise but I just
> haven't experienced that yet (at least in terms of root causes of
> runtime errors when porting tests)

Indeed, and I don't mind .decode('utf8') but the reason I want the
str() thing is a bit more subtle.

It comes back to what Douglas writes above, or more particularly what
happens without an exception if we don't.

x = str(res[0][samAccountName][0])

As I understand it, in this case x == "b'abartlet'" in Python3 but
'abartlet' in python2.  If it threw an exception we would be fine, but
the silent b'' wrapping will be a nightmare to chase though.

Thanks,