Directory cache and SMB2

Tom Talpey ttalpey at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 30 13:24:10 UTC 2018

Yeah, not all filesystems support the FileIndex argument, so historically, the protocol can't force it. The flag is, however, technically legal.

MS-FSA has this - note, "(optional)".

2.1.5.5	Server Requests Querying a Directory
The server provides:
§	Open: An Open of a DirectoryStream.
§	FileInformationClass: The type of information being queried, as specified in [MS-FSCC] section 2.4.
§	OutputBufferSize: The maximum number of bytes to return in OutputBuffer.
§	RestartScan: A Boolean value which, if TRUE, indicates that enumeration is restarted from the beginning of the directory. If FALSE, enumeration continues from the last position.
§	ReturnSingleEntry: A Boolean value which, if TRUE, indicates that at most one entry MUST be returned. If FALSE, a variable count of entries could be returned, not to exceed OutputBufferSize bytes.
§	FileIndex: An index number from which to resume the enumeration if the object store supports it (optional).