Python 3 versions

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 10:44:32 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 3:49 AM, Stefan Metzmacher via samba-technical
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> Am 28.03.2018 um 20:18 schrieb Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical:

>>> If you want to go with python 3.5 you need to keep python 2.7 support around
>>> till those distros are out of support or drop python2 to in favor of a newer
>>> python3 version (unlikely).
>
> I think we need to keep at least 2.7 for quite some time.

Python 3.6 is in the Scientific Collections Library for RHEL 6 and
RHEL 7, and also in CentOS. Part of the difficulty with using those is
that they require some extra steps to install and compile with, and
part is that they have much smaller sets of published modules in the
upstream repository. But Python 2.7 has gotten very long in the tooth.
Fedora is switching to Python 3 by default, and plans in the
fedora-devel mailing list have included dropping Python 2 support by
2020.

>> I have to say, I find the competing priorities here maddening.
>>
>> For all this porting work to be worth it, we need to be able to use the
>> new features, and while for at most the next couple of months I'm happy
>> to set the bar at Python 3.4, by the time we have a release that
>> actually works with Python3 it must be Python 3.5 or ideally 3.6, with
>> Python2 support dropped except for the build system (maybe).
>>
>> If the root folks could advise on if a python36 package could be
>> installed on sn-devel (via an upgrade or ppa) that would help a lot.
>
> It will take (I guess at least) a few weeks before we upgrade to a newer
> version.
>
> metze

I'm not a python developer so I can't estimate the amount of work
involved in porting *everything* left to Python 3, or trying to
maintain any backwards compatibility.