Python 3 versions

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Thu Mar 29 07:44:52 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 20:18:05 CEST Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 15:20 +0200, Andreas Schneider via samba-
>
> technical wrote:
> > Here is an example:
> >
> > RHEL7 offers python 2.7.5 and python 3.3. If you want to support
> > enterprise
> > distributions with python3 you need to go with 3.3.
>
> I'm confused, I can't see any package for python3 in:
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/
>
> It is in EPEL, but this shows python36 as available here:
>
> https://mirrors.sonic.net/epel/7/x86_64/Packages/p/
>
> And for centos 6 there is python36 in IUS:
>
> https://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/stable/CentOS/6/x86_64/

There are people who have to support Samba on Enterprise distributions. They
are not able to install python 3.6 from some repo for building Samba, they
need to use what is in the distribution.

And in the meantime I think you also have customers running Samba on such an
enterprise distribution. They might to be able to install Samba from a
different package because Samba is a leave package, but python is not!

You don't have the pain to support old stuff and in the past also mostly
ignored it. But there are several people here who have to.

I'm still backporting patches to Samba 3.6 and my git tree has 324 patches
applied.

Removing python2 support in the life cycle of the current Enterprise distros
will cause pain for a lot of people. Not only python bindings but also our
build system relies on it. Someone thought that a build system based on python
is a good idea. It is a pain. We can't build on newer systems because it
doesn't work with python3 and if we remove python2 we can't build on older
distros, yay!

Cheers,

	Andreas