Python 3 versions

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Mar 28 18:18:05 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 15:20 +0200, Andreas Schneider via samba-
technical wrote:

> Here is an example:
>
> RHEL7 offers python 2.7.5 and python 3.3. If you want to support enterprise
> distributions with python3 you need to go with 3.3.

I'm confused, I can't see any package for python3 in:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/Packages/

It is in EPEL, but this shows python36 as available here:

https://mirrors.sonic.net/epel/7/x86_64/Packages/p/

And for centos 6 there is python36 in IUS:

https://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/stable/CentOS/6/x86_64/

> If you want to go with python 3.5 you need to keep python 2.7 support around
> till those distros are out of support or drop python2 to in favor of a newer
> python3 version (unlikely).

I have to say, I find the competing priorities here maddening.

For all this porting work to be worth it, we need to be able to use the
new features, and while for at most the next couple of months I'm happy
to set the bar at Python 3.4, by the time we have a release that
actually works with Python3 it must be Python 3.5 or ideally 3.6, with
Python2 support dropped except for the build system (maybe).

If the root folks could advise on if a python36 package could be
installed on sn-devel (via an upgrade or ppa) that would help a lot.

Thanks,