Close all old samba "3" bugzillas ?

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Wed Mar 21 21:04:26 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 08:07:10PM +0100, Björn JACKE via samba-technical wrote:
> On 2018-03-21 at 10:20 -0700 Jeremy Allison via samba-technical sent off:
> > However, bugs kept in the "zombie" state (even with fix attached)
> > are not good for the project. No one is looking at them.
> >
> > If Simo were to propose deleting the data, I would agree with
> > Björn. But that's not what he's asking for.
> >
> > Marking the bug as WONTFIX/EOL keeps the data, and allows the
> > bug to be ressurected if anyone looks at it, or re-raises the
> > issue.
>
> if a bug is closed it will not be found in any search again...

iirc it's just a matter of going to advanced search and selecting all states, so
this is a non-issue for anyone who cares about firing a deep search.

Personally I'm always in favour of wiping the slate clean, so +1 from me on
closing instead of bugrotting.

> will not pop up ever again unless you search in ALL bugs of all states - nobody
> will ever do a search in all bugs of all states because it is like searching
> for a grain of sand on a beach.
>
> > IMHO marking WONTFIX/EOL is acknowleging the reality of the
> > situation, in that no one is going to look at pre-4.0.x
> > bugs unless there is end-user activity around the issue.
>
> some people, including me also look at pre 4.0 bugs or find actually old open
> bugs when they search for a real life problem of existing setups.

What hinders you from doing the exact same search just doing it slightly
different to get the same result?

My preference would be that by *default* searches do not return bugroten
bugs. And those that really care should know how to tweak the searches, but for
the majority of users I guess some sort of housekeeping would be good.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team       https://samba.org/
Samba Developer, SerNet GmbH   https://sernet.de/en/samba/