Github != Freedom?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Mar 21 18:48:03 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-03-21 at 11:22 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 06:55:57AM +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > Or push to github and have travis-ci chew it over (make a pull request
> > or set it up on the source repo).  Andreas did that (made a pull
>
> Yes, but that would mean pushing to a proprietary software-as-a-service
> provider, which is something we're trying to avoid.

Except for Coverity of course.

> github != Free Software.

Sure.  And to be clear, as someone who actively avoids having Google
accounts I really do get that.

> We need to remember that. Yes I know I also work for a proprietary
> software-as-a-service vendor, but none of our infrastructure *depends*
> on it. I'm trying to avoid us drifting into that place by accident.

Will you help build and maintain an alternative?  Or at least can you
commit to using it?

Ideally I would ask that you use the current GitHub integration, and
tell me what you like and what doesn't work and where it impinges on
your freedoms.

That would give folks like me actively working in this area solid data.
 I wouldn't want to build something 'perfect' and then find that the
real issue was 'actually, I really just don't like the e-mails' ;-).

(The irony is that the clunky e-mails exist entirely because we didn't
want to either split the community nor mandate folks sign in to
GitHub).

There are alternatives, but also precious as our freedom is our time,
and time I spend manually compile-testing patches is time I can't spend
on developing more Free Software.