Close all old samba "3" bugzillas ?

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Wed Mar 21 15:39:50 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-21 at 08:41 -0400 Simo via samba-technical sent off:
> They may still be valid but they are clogging bugzilla needlessly and
> if nobody is asking anything about those it means they are bugs nobody
> cares for.

unfortunately we have plenty of valid bugs that just none of us cared for to
look at or comment on for years even though the bug description is clear,
sometimes even a fix it part of the bug report.

> > The age of a Samba version is not a reason for closing a bug for us.
>
> I think it is, EOLed versions will not see bugfixing anyway.

nobody says that the a bug will have to be fixed in 3.0 but some bugs are still
valid for master.

> Who is we ?

those team members who took part in the discussion and argumentation

> I only know that bugzilla is almost useless to find relevant bugs to
> tackle. If bugs are not going to be fixed the *reasonable* thing to do
> is to warn the person that opened them (and everyone else) that we are
> not going to tackle them by closing WONTFIX/EOL and let people that
> care about a specific bug to reopen it if they care, or just let it go
> if they stopped caring.
>
> Keeping dead bugs around serves who exactly ?

bugs are not dead just because none of the samba developers looked into or
commented on it.  I don't disagree to close bugs that are most probably fixed
or badly described or probably misconfigurations or...or...or. But not blindly
closing old bugs with the comment that the version it was reported for is EOL.

Björn