Close all old samba "3" bugzillas ?

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Wed Mar 21 11:44:38 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-20 at 10:01 -0400 Simo via samba-technical sent off:
> I was looking in bugzilla and we have bugs open since 2005 that
> probably do not apply anymore?
>
> I was thinking we should just go ahead and close all samba 3.x bugs and
> let people re-file if any is still interesting.
>
> Thoughts ?

-1

We discussed exactly this topic a while ago on the team list and came to the
conclusion that we don't want this, see the "Spring 2014 Bugzilla Cleanup"
thread. We have many old bugs that are still valid. The age of a Samba version
is not a reason for closing a bug for us. Also the initial reporters often will
not reopen bugs closed for that reason, some got mad after getting no
reaction for years and then a "EOL" message only. Some reporters will not even
use Samba anymore or have invalid mail addresses in Bugzilla these days. I know
that almost all distributions do such EOL bug database cleanups in their bug
trackers but we decided that this is not what we want.

Björn