Debug SMBD memory leak/usage

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Tue Mar 6 06:30:27 UTC 2018

Howdy,

On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 04:29:41AM +0100, Timur I. Bakeyev via samba-technical wrote:
> I've got numerous reports that SMBD on FreeBSD in some situations eats a
> lot of (all) memory and as a last resort thought about using memory
> allocation debugging to get better picture of where the memory leaks.
>
> I guess I haven't done that for quite a while, as '--enable-dmalloc' option
> from Samba 3.x has disappeared in Samba .4.x and supplying -DENABLE_DMALLOC
> to CFLAGS doesn't add -ldmalloc to the list of libs to link with and hence
> Samba build fails.

never used dmalloc and completely untested, but what about:

ADDITIONAL_CFLAGS="-DENABLE_DMALLOC" \
ADDITIONAL_LDFLAGS="-ldmalloc" \
./configure ...

The ADDITIONAL_* environment variables can be used to pass flags that are used
during compilation, but not for configure checks.

Fwiw, removing cc samba users mailing list from cc.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team       https://samba.org/
Samba Developer, SerNet GmbH   https://sernet.de/en/samba/