[Patches] Expanded group memberships on boundaries of outgoing trusts (bugs #13299, #13300, #13307)

Douglas Bagnall douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Mar 2 10:20:03 UTC 2018

[re-sending this, which got rejected this morning for being too big.
 The maximum graph mentioned below is now at
 https://www.samba.org/~dbagnall/expanded-graph-memberships-maximum.png]

On 02/03/18 01:17, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Douglas,

>>> We should have a graph for that shortly.
>>
>> This one is more accurate for two reasons: it is over 6 runs not 3,
>> and it turns out the earlier version had some failures due to memory
>> pressure so that the origin/master there had only one run.
>>
>> I would say all the variation in the +/- 5 percent range is noise, but
>> there is still some slowdown in adding links in a transaction. Though
>> much less than before (~17% vs ~70%).
>
> Thanks!
>
> I think this is still noise, if you look at:

Yes, it is noisy but there is still some signal. Attached is a graph
of the median time (which I should make the default), and also the
maximum.

In all cases, the times for adding links in a transaction go up a
little bit.

I am not objecting to the patches, though. It is only a little change
and we can always look at optimising later.

Douglas