[Patches] Expanded group memberships on boundaries of outgoing trusts (bugs #13299, #13300, #13307)

Douglas Bagnall douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Mar 1 09:58:04 UTC 2018

On 01/03/18 21:16, Douglas Bagnall via samba-technical wrote:
> On 01/03/18 20:05, Stefan Metzmacher via samba-technical wrote:
>> Hi Douglas,

>>> The results are shown in the attached chart, which compares
>>> yesterday's version of the patchset with yesterday's origin/master
>>> over three runs.
>>>
>>> Adding large groups (i.e. adding a group with lots of members in a
>>> single SamDB.add_ldif() operation) is slower, as is populating an
>>> existing group using add_ldif. Other operations are the same speed or
>>> slightly faster.
>>>
>>> There is quite a bit of noise when testing with just 3 runs, but the
>>> consistency across the different tests suggests this is a real change.
>>
>> Thanks! I hope the new version doesn't have such an impact.
>>
>>> I will try again with thew current head of
>>> https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master3-trusts-ok
>>
>> The one that I recently pushed should compile and work.
>
> We should have a graph for that shortly.

This one is more accurate for two reasons: it is over 6 runs not 3,
and it turns out the earlier version had some failures due to memory
pressure so that the origin/master there had only one run.

I would say all the variation in the +/- 5 percent range is noise, but
there is still some slowdown in adding links in a transaction. Though
much less than before (~17% vs ~70%).

The attached JSON file has the timings for each run.

Douglas