config files and how to have persistent Linux kernel Driver/File System configuration info saved

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 23:21:30 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Theodore Y. Ts'o via samba-technical
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 05:37:15PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
>> Ronnie brought up an interesting point about the problems consistently
>> configuring file systems (or any Linux module for that matter) so that
>> reboot doesn't wipe away security or performance tuning changes.
>
> In general it's considered best practice to make the file system
> auto-tune itself as much as possible, because the sad fact is that
> 99.9999% of the customers aren't going to bother to add any tuning
> parameters.  So there hasn't been a push to try to create something
> more complex, because it's generally not needed.

True, but in these cases I think we are more looking at server or
mountpoint specific options than
actual fs tuning.

For example nfsmount.conf can be used to say "only use NFSv4 when
accessing server abc" etc.
For the case of CIFS I could imagine that an administrator might want
to set "disable smb1 protocol globally"
etc.