WAF 2.x upgrade status

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Wed Jun 27 15:14:25 UTC 2018

Hi,

Since February I am working on and off on migrating to a newer WAF
version. We want to use WAF 2.x as it is compatible with Python 3.
Over years WAF also evolved and most of infrastructure Samba was
building upon since WAF 1.5 times got deprecated.

Below is a progress I have to date.

Following gitlab branch contains the current state:
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/commits/abbra-py3-master-waf

I migrated from WAF 1.8 to 1.9 to 2.0 to 2.0.4 and finally to 2.0.8.
Autobuild still fails but the code passes configure, builds, and in some
targets even 'make test'.

Thanks to Thomas Nagy help, I've got past the issue I was banging my
head against for long: building Heimdal compilers (asn1_compile and
compile_et).

What's not working:  anything that require newly built python bindings
in 'make test'. For example, tests fail somehow to find ldb bindings
that were built just now. I'll look at this tomorrow.

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/pipelines/24684552 is a latest
run -- we pass roughly 1/3 of all build jobs.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy