New Samba on old platforms

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Mon Jun 25 07:21:33 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew,

>> If someone wants to build an unsupported version of Samba (as in not
>> supported by the distro) on SLES 11 or RHEL 6, then surely they should
>> also be capable of sourcing libjansson as well. In my opinion, arguing
>> about these distro's is a waste of time.
>
> G'Day Rowland
>
> Yes, for some reason (fear of platform upgrades essentially) it is
> exceedingly common for brand new Samba deployments to be made on very
> old platforms.  This is even for the AD DC, where we strongly recommend
> against running in combination with other services (so a platform
> upgrade of that VM should be easy) and can easily join a new DC on a
> new VM.

I think this is the most important point : from a security point of
view, a DC machine shouldn't host any other thing than the DC. So there
shouldn't be any blocker for upgrade, since there shouldn't be any other
legacy stuff running on the same machine.

I understand that this is different for the fileserver. Indeed we also
have clients running Samba on machine with legacy software which are
mission critical and can't be easily upgraded to newer OS.

We have done hundreds of Samba-AD deployments, and requiring CentOS7 has
never been an issue.

Cheers,

Denis

--