Witness service - s3 asynchronous RPC server

David Disseldorp ddiss at samba.org
Fri Jun 22 09:41:18 UTC 2018

Hi Samuel,

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 09:27:41 +0200, Samuel Cabrero via samba-technical wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have started to work in the witness service implementation, and the
> first thing to address is the RPC server. This protocol requires an
> asynchronous server and there are currently two implementations, the
> "s4", which is asynchronous, and the "s3" which is not.
>
> As this is intended to be used in clustered environments with CTDB and
> AFAIK CTDB doesn't work with "s4", the first option would be to make
> the "s3" RPC server async as it looks like the merge of both RPC
> servers won't happen in a near future.
>
> There is already a patchset to make the "s3" RPC server asynchronous by
> David Disseldorp, which I rebased on master and started to work on top
> of it.
>
> Before going further, I think the "s3" RPC server patch has to be
> reviewed and pushed, so I send it here requesting for comments.

Thanks for sending this RFC out. One thing we discussed with Günther at
SambaXP was that we need to ensure that uid/gids are consistent across
the lifetime of given request. IIRC (it was a long time ago :) Metze
recommended using a thin tevent wrapper to handle this context. IMO we
need to make sure that this is addressed before taking this patchset
further.

Cheers, David